So last week I started one more class at ITP called Intro to Fabrication. Why? Would it be because I cannot change a lamp or a hang a painting? Would it be because I have no idea about how am I going to build my final PCOMP project? Or just because I want to be able to bring the things that I have in my head to life? Well I guess it is because of all those things combined.
So at our first class we learned a little about tools, materials and machines, such as the drill press.
And for our first assignment we were challenged to build a flashlight.
My idea for the flashlight was to create something that could make my home cozier. And since I am a universe fan, I thought: why not making one of those night sky lights, were you can project galaxies?
So I found some tutorials online and with a little bit of creativity this is were I got:
These are some of the steps I took to get to this result:
- Making an Illustrator file with the enclosure shapes, with the marks for the laser cutter machine:
- Cutting a piece of wood with the shape of one sides of the enclosure and making it the base for the components. I used the drill press to make holes to place the superbright LEDs:
- Soldering it all together and adding power. I used 3 AA batteries to get 4.5 V. I also added a low resistor just in case.
- Cutting the Illustrator shapes with the laser cutter (I used a very thick black paper, called Museum Board). It takes 2 of these shapes:
- Adding a on/off button
- Glueing the enclosure
- ***Lighting it up***
Some things I had problems with/technical details I would have taken care in a different way now that I know:
- The paper I chose was too tick and hard to bend. A thinner one would have been easier to use and would also look better.
- Putting the 2 pieces of the enclosure together was the biggest challenge. They didn’t quite fit and it was hard to do it with only 2 hands. Doesn’t look as clean and nice as I would like it to be.
- I thought 5 super bright LEDs would be enough. But turns out that I needed at least twice as much light to get the effect that I wanted.
- The enclosure is entirely glued now. So when the batteries die, I suppose I will have to cut it. Should have thought about a way to open and close the enclosure when designing it.